SmarTag is ChinaScope’s flagship news analysis engine that deconstructs unstructured Chinese language text into structured machine-readable metadata. Sentiment embedded in the vernacular expressed in the text is used to calculate scores that can be used to predict stock movements. Mappings for the Chinese characters corresponding to the SmarTag name, title, and summary fields can be made available upon request.
- Discern which apps are short and long term winners and losers. For example, during the COVID-19 lockdown, iQiyi, China's Netflix, saw short term user growth, but the number of users quickly declined, eventually falling below pre-Covid levels. Meanwhile, Tik Tok saw a spike early in the lockdown, but they have kept those gains and continue to add users. Honour of Kings, Tencent's biggest game, is seeing a much slower erosion of new users added during lockdown, despite the reopening of schools.
- Create and enhance systematic strategies. Studies have shown that a long short market neutral strategy using iApp usage data resulted in over 35% annual returns since 2016.
- Gain access to data that reflects the true operations of a company rather than what they disclose. For example, Sina Weibo (ticker WB) saw DAU/MAU steadily climb from 2016 until1Q2018, when iApp saw a reversal followed by a decline in the next 4 quarters. The company continued to disclose growing DAU/MAU counter to reality, as Tik Tok was gaining mindshare. The stock followed iApp data down >70%. There was an inflection point in early 2Q19, followed by the stock rebounding >50% in 3 months.
- Feed Coverage
Company Type Number of Companies Number of Apps Start Date Public Companies 39 49 2016 Private Companies & Other 787 1,083 2016
- Feed Details
- iApp provides detailed mobile app usage information on any app in China, no matter how large or small. Some of the metrics provided include Install Base, New Users, Active Users including DAU and MAU, Time Spent, Geographical Breakdown and Demographics.
Data is self-sourced, from Aurora Mobile’s market leading position in providing SDKs for developers, with the largest SDK for push notifications. Currently, over 1.4 million apps use their SDKs, growing at over 1,000 apps per day.
iApp’s sample size is the largest in the market with over 1.3 billion unique mobile devices per month, or over 90% of the devices in China.
The data is updated with a lag of T+3 and history goes back to 2016.
- Firm Information
- Founded in 2011, JIGUANG (Nasdaq:JG, also known as Aurora Mobile) is China's leading mobile developer service provider. Their products include SDKs for push notifications, instant messaging, analytics, sharing, SMS and more.
By offering targeted marketing (''XiaoGuoTong''), financial risk management, market intelligence and location-based intelligence, JIGUANG empowers developers and traditional industry customers to improve productivity and optimize decision making for businesses and society.